Wednesday, July 3, 2013

BLOG 3: Who Made This?

Before we get into all the nature stuff I just have to show off this new acquisition to my vintage Star Wars toy collection. This is Kenner’s Teebo, the Ewok from 1984. What’s so unusual about this find is that it comes with his ceremonial flask of Endorian Potions that you can see him holding in his left hand. This accessory was deemed a choking hazard for little children and was discontinued after only a very limited production run.


Oh my gosh! I just made that all up! That thing Teebo is holding isn’t a flask at all and had nothing to do with any toys or Star Wars or any like that! My ridiculous sense of humor kicks in when I get curious about things and I became extremely curious about this piece miniature clay pottery I found in the woods. How miniature? It fits comfortably on dime!


My best guess was that it was made by some sort of insect so I dove into some books (like the Internet but you lick your fingers before you go from page to page) and discovered it was the handy work of the Potter wasp (Eumenes fraternus). This artisan is found in eastern North America and the eastern United States, occurring as far west as Ontario in Canada, and Minnesota, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas in the United States.

The mud pots or domes are actually nurseries that house the juveniles. Fertilized eggs are laid in these spherical nests and once they hatch the larvae grow and develop eating paralyzed caterpillars that the mother provides for sustenance. Can anyone say “ALIEN?” Ripley!!!!! (Forgive the additional sci-fi reference)

Elsewhere I read that each dome is designed for just one larva meaning that the female must build a separate one for each single egg she lays. I’m not sure if this fact is accurate but it makes sense when you consider how tiny a construction it is.


The trumpet like opening is typically sealed shut once it’s fully stocked with ‘pillars so the fact that the one I found was open most likely means the female perished before she had a chance to lay her eggs. I have to admit that’s fine by me! Although I admire the delicate intricacy of these earthen vessels I despise stinging insects! I would never go out of my way to hurt one in the wild but I’m certainly not going to lose any Zs over one meeting an untimely demise!

Now, if anyone doubts my ID on this nest let me know! A few things don’t add up. For example I read that they “ are found on shrubs, bushy plants, and various overhangs that are anywhere from less than 1 meter off the ground to about 5 meters high in the tree line.” Well mine was found under a rock! And here’s a pic of two more, not as aesthetically appealing and somewhat crushed but also not on any shrubs!


And one last thought.  So many human inventions are just our versions of things nature came up with first.  Helicopters move like hummingbirds, sonar came from whales and dolphins and bats, armored tanks came from snails and turtles, phosphorescence came from lightning bugs and could it be that early pottery came from insects?

Look at this ancient Indian pot I found on an antiques site. See a resemblance? Kind of makes you think!


OK, that’s all I have for now! Hey, we went from Star Wars to Insects to Native Americans! What else can you expect from one BLOG?

Thanks for reading and, as always, I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions or large amounts of money.

Please be sure to check back for the next exciting installment of Kieran’s Critters!


5 comments:

  1. We call them "mud daubers" down here. They are in our attic and usually killed with a fogger. They come downstairs every spring to let us know they are alive.
    good blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I came across the name "Mud Dauber" and "Dirt Dauber" in my reading. I neglected to mention it so I'm very happy you did. I have seen these little clay jugs before but I never knew who the makers were. I hate wasps but I like their art!

      Delete
  2. My favorite line by far: .....so I dove into some books (like the Internet but you lick your fingers before you go from page to page)

    Now, is it just me? Or is the dark background with white text hurting anyone's eyes besides mine? Could just be my bad eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'll take what you said about the white text into consideration and try to poll some more readers to see if they have a similar problem! Last thing I wanna do is post headache inducing text!

      Delete
  3. I like the white text against black snd I never saw a mud dinner build those little pots. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete