Sunday, February 9, 2014

BLOG 14: A Critter In The Snow!

Where the heck have I been? Well, I’ve been right here! Trust me…you're the one who hasn’t been showing up! I know that seems ridiculous but you’re just a bit disoriented at the moment, trust me!  Sit down, take a deep breath, and I’ll give you a few moments to get your bearings.  OK? Feeling better? Great…onwards!!!

(I hope you bought that)

So, as you know (or maybe you don’t) the deep freeze has well set in, in the Pocono Mountains.   The creatures have all “shut their doors and locked the locks until the vernal equinox” (to quote a jazz song). I mean, if you are a lover of creepy crawlies like me than the months of snow and ice have very little in store for you!  It’s an interminable wait until spring! 

But I said “little in store” not “nothing in store!”

On Groundhog’s Day in 2013 I found a comatose Red-Eared Slider floating in a pond in East Stroudsburg (she’s OK now!) 

 This slider I found  in an icy pond was probably an abandoned pet!

And back in 2005 I found an injured musk turtle, also in February, by the pond at Muriel Hepner Park in Denville, New Jersey! 

Injured Stinkpot that was being picked  at by crows!
And just this last December 22 I encountered another cool critter!

There was snow all over the ground but the air temperature had briefly climbed into the high 40s (Fahrenheit) one morning and just on a whim I flipped over a flat stone which normally is in a very hot, sun baked portion of our yard.  I thought there might be a 1 in billion chance there was a sluggish garter snake under it…hey, you never know!

The lay of the land in December of 2013

In 2008 The Pocono Record   published a story about Monroe County naturalist Brian Hardiman who found a Rat Snake basking in the sun on a snowy October 30th and in the same article, Pocono naturalist,  John Serrao mentions a Garter snake he found in November! So who ever knows until you investigate!?

So I turned over the slab of red shale and  there,  in almost a state of complete torpidity, was this Red- backed salamander (Plethodon cinereus). Please don’t ask me what the heck “torpidity” means! I probably just made it up!



 I know that certain native amphibians like the Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus) and the Spring Peeper (Pseudacris cruciferproduce a natural type of antifreeze in their blood, a glucose which enables them to survive bitter temperatures! A matter of fact, Woodys are the only frog found as far north as Alaska and Labrador! Red-backs, however, I thought steered clear of any and all winter weather, squirming their way down to almost 4 feet beneath the frost line! I have never seen one this late in the season! 

Arrow points to the exact spot where I found the salamander!

James Petranka in “Salamanders of the United States and Canada” writes, 



“In the Atlantic coastal states, individuals are often active in winter during prolonged periods of warm weather.” 

So maybe this isn’t that unusual but this wasn’t a prolonged period! It was a few hours and then the temps plummeted again!  





Anyway, someone was as impressed as me because one of my shots of December’s salamander was published in The Pocono Record on January 12th of this year!



Well, that’s all I have for everyone right now! 

Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again!




5 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you would be back.... How many of these critters that you rescued survived?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming back anonymous! The Stinkpot sadly didn’t survive. The Slider, named groundhog, is still alive and well and I can only guess that they Red-backed is living too! The Red-backed was in its natural environment and wasn’t injured so I I left it to its own devices.

      Delete
  2. What month will the redbacks emerge? Does it depend solely on the temperatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal findings in NJ and PA are that they usually emerge around late March or early April when the air temperature can climb into the low 50s during the day. In his book “The Natural Pocono Mountains” John Serrao would seem to concur with this as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous is me........ Barb

    ReplyDelete